Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Crafty Spring

Today I missed my very special mom's group due to a sick little one at home, so I did the next best thing that makes me just as happy! You guessed it crafting!

Inspired by one of my most favorite blogs Craftberry Bush,  I decided to work on my Spring mantle. It's still very much a work in progress as I'm always adding and subtracting from it, but made two little vignette's worthy of sharing with you.

I find myself gravitating to neutral colors and natural textures this season, with a small pop of color as you will see.

 Now for those of you who know me I don't like to spend money if I don't have to, especially when it comes to crafting (unless of course I won the lottery or someone blessed me with a gift card  to Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joanns, I'm just saying)
That being said I reuse and re purpose a lot of stuff around the house, and when I do make purchases it's stuff that's going to be used for lots of other projects or is on clearance.

So here's the breakdown:

*Lamp is pretty much a fixture to the mantle because we need the light. But I was bored with it, so wrapped it up with a little twine and it's got another life.

*OK so I bought the M but like for $1, then wrapped it with some more twine, and the little aqua rosette was due to another craft's epic fail, but found a better place for it. (Maybe I'll tell you about another time)

*Those cute little barrel looking things are napkin rings that I bought for $1 from a thrift store like forever ago, they are precious little pieces from India with this really great patina on them, which inspired me to "speed up" the oxidation process on some other items I have ( I'll give you a tip on that later)

*And finally my most favorite piece is that awesome Atlas Jar thanks to the Classico Spaghetti sauce I made the other night, filled it with some dried flowers from an old but still great smelling potpuri,
and there you have one side of the mantle.


My friend Lucy over at Craftberry Bush posted an awesome tutorial the other day on a fabric rose seen here

This was my take on it seen here


So behind this pretty little thing are some pieces that I decided to "speed up" the oxidation process on.
Just a simple old can that I painted white, then a pale aqua blue and a few strokes of brown. Wish I had pics on that but it's not rocket science so I'm sure you can figure it out like I did.
And the best way to recreate an old looking patina, is by dabbing some aqua colored paint onto anything you have that's already bronze. With a sponge or paint brush then wipe off the excess so it doesn't just look like paint. But it works!

Looks pretty authenticly oxidized to me!


Well I gotta go pick up my kid from school, there's just never enough time in the day.


Thanks for stopping by!
L.

Linking up a@

Somewhat Simple



Katie's Nesting Spot





I Heart Nap Time

The Girl Creative

Skip To My Lou

Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments: