Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Advent Calendar

So it's the most wonderful time of the year again! Around here counting down to Christmas is a very important ritual, however this year I wanted it to mean so much more. So the kids and I worked on our very first Advent Calendar.

Nothing fancy as you can see.

The circles are cut from a brown paper shopping bag(which translates to FREE)
add
 a little glitter, glue and a hole punch of course, easy peasy!

At first I thought I'd be different and hang them on the Christmas tree(which I might still do next year) but I remembered that I had painted this old frame red and really didn't know what to do with it.
And then it was like in the movies when God shines the light down on the "answer" and you hear angels singing "ahhhhh"
Ok well maybe not quite like that but it sounded great right?

Back to the point, I stapled 5 pieces of  string to the back of the frame and loosely tied small pieces of string through the circle and around the "clothesline"(for lack of a better word). I say loosely because I plan on having the kids pull one number off a day and wouldn't want the whole thing to fall apart.
Voila!
And there you have the makings of an Advent Calendar.
But this year instead of just "counting down" each night before bed we'll take turns pulling off the day's number and reading a passage of scripture from the book of Luke leading up to the birth of Christ.

Looking forward to a season of giving, hope and joy!

1 comment:

Craftberry Bush said...

My sweet friend Leslie, I hope you have a beautiful Christmas full of happiness and love...I'm so thankful for your friendship...luv ya bunches...xoxo
Lu